Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Something I don't like

Sometimes the nature of humanity really gets me down.  Not to get too Barthian on y'all (though I unabashedly love that guy sometimes), but sometimes I get frustrated with human brokenness.  I suppose this is a good way to start Lent, and perhaps one of the intended effects of the Ash Wednesday service I attended tonight (which, of course, was beautiful framed by the reality of hope).  That being said, I find it upsetting that we, as people, tend to be both the break-ers and the broken.  This, of course, radiates out of my own personal reflection, seeing the areas where I have been broken and where I have caused brokenness.  I am even more humbled tonight by how brightly my life shines with grace.

And now, for something completely different.  I'm currently reading a book on boundaries.  More to come on this, but it's been powerful, important work.  School has started again, and luckily I'm still in the "excited to be back in classes" stage; we'll see how long it lasts :-)  Overall, I feel blessed and happy-- I know brokenness, but I also know grace.

No comments: