Friday, July 11, 2008

A heart full of love

What is there to say about these last few weeks?  It's been a roller coaster of experience and emotion.  After the crash of finals came the much needed pause, time for reflection and the opportunity to sink into rest.  I feel peace again.  I'm not speechless anymore.  I'm able to close my eyes when I pray again.

I'm taking a summer class at a seminary that is very different than what I'm used to.  It's not bad, by any means, and while there are some things that startle me, overall I'm enjoying the opportunity to see God through the eyes of this place.  I'm especially thinking more about how, and where, God speaks.  "God is still speaking" may be the mantra of the UCC, but I think this little Presbyterian can claim it, too.  God is still speaking.  And where He speaks is usually surprising.

God spoke to me yesterday through an 86-year-old man, whose hunched, tired body stood in stark contrast to his feisty personality.  This is a man who has 7,700 verses of the bible memorized.  And I really do believe that God spoke to me through him yesterday when he looked me, right in the eye, and with no pre-knowledge of my life or circumstances said "Lindsey, shut the door on your past and open the door on your future.  You're about to give the performance of a lifetime."  

God also encourages in different ways, too.  He spoke to me through the voice of my mother.  Just a few weeks ago I was sitting in an airport feeling broken, discouraged, and I told her with my face buried in my hands that I was having a really hard time believing in myself.  And she said to me, "Lindsey, get on that plane and go home with a heart full of love."  

I feel like I'm in a place of transition in my life--and I feel like it's been a long time coming.  I am shutting the door on certain parts of my past, but am starting to feel brave enough to open the door to my future.  While some people may be fading slowly into the background of my history, others relationships are forming and sustaining me.  And I'm grateful that I've been blessed enough to step forward into all the joys that lie ahead with a heart full of love.

No comments: